Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Records management in the archives

While records management is not specifically part of my job duties, every January I go to the shelves, pull the box of Clarke researcher registration forms and request cards. According to the CMU records schedule these forms are kept five years after December of the year they were created. In January of the sixth year, I shred them. Finally last year the library contracted with a professional shredding company. Now I just have to haul a box to 4th floor. In this case these forms are from 2011. In 2012 I put them on a shelf. In January 2017 I shred them. The records schedule specifies they are to shredded due to the signatures on them.

Box contents to be shredded

Note I wrote in 2011 to remind myself to shred this box in Jan. 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment