Monday, May 11, 2015

MAC at Lexington, the Patriot Act, and other stuff

Had a good experience in Lexington, KY, at MAC, the Midwest Archives Conference. Basically I learned that no matter how bad the situation is, you cannot keep an archivist down, whether this involves film, A/V, digital, reorganizing an archives, or whatever. There are also lots of archivists (like me) dedicated to teaching about archives, archival literacy, and helping wannabe archivists turn into archivists. I met some nice people. Our A/V presentation panel went pretty well.

So I'm back and I have to finish grades by Weds. and then train new students.

As per usual, since I left town briefly, lots of stuff was donated while I was gone. I see piles. This is good because as of Thrs I will new students who need smaller collections to learn how to process.

Lastly, while lots of interesting news has occurred in the last few days, of particular note is a front page NYTimes story from May 7th I saw while breakfasting that may have very interesting ramifications for mass data collection, American privacy rights, and the NSA, IIIIFFFF (and that's a really big if) our government decides to and how to address the issue.

For more information on the story click here http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-32620742
An Appeals Court ruled that bulk collection of domestic phone calls is illegal and urged Congress to take action about the situation.  It did not rule against other information being collected, nor did it outlaw the Patriot Act. This week House members may vote on a bill to limit the Patriot Act called the USA Freedom Act. Some are strongly opposed to the bulk collection of data, others not so much.  If you want to learn about the USA Freedom Act here's a link https://www.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/house-bill/3361

No comments:

Post a Comment