Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Death certificates in the archives

Official MI death certificates, 1914-1922, from a local township showed up in a collection my students recently processed. Trying to get them back to the right state dept is a pain. If you request a vital record from MI, birth, marriage, or death certificate, the records request is handled by a company, not a state unit. It took me three emails to find a person to respond so I can send them in.  I can imagine the reaction in the unit. What is this old, beat up looking piece of paper? What are we going to do with them?

It took almost 2 weeks but I finally sent them off to a person in the

Division for Vital Records & Health Statistics
Michigan Dept. of Community Health

Goodby early 20th c. death certificates. Hopefully nobody has been looking for them since 1914.


No comments:

Post a Comment