Assistant Conservator (Part Time)
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, Margaret Herrick Library
Position Posted: December 4, 2014
The Assistant Conservator is responsible for the conservation management of a wide-range of paper-based objects including treatment, preparation of objects for exhibition and loan and courier responsibilities. This is a part-time position (20-24 hours a week) in the Graphic Arts department and reports to the Conservator.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Perform basic book, paper and photograph conservation treatments with documentation.
· Perform more complex conservation treatments with the assistance of conservation staff with written and photographic documentation.
· Assist in the preparation of loans and exhibits, including but not limited to: stabilization, hinging, specialized packing, and condition documentation
· Monitor matting, framing, installation/deinstallation and rehousing projects.
· Fabricate/adapt specialized storage housings for the collection.
· Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedural manuals.
· Monitor storage environments.
· Advise staff of best practices for handling and storage enclosures for a variety of collection materials.
Qualifications and Requirements:
· Master’s degree with a specialization in paper conservation and/or an equivalent combination of relevant education and experience.
· At least three years of experience in paper conservation.
· A working knowledge of accepted conservation standards, practices and terminology and proper use of conservation tools, equipment and supplies.
· Ability to work independently.
· Strong computer skills, including experience with PC platform and databases.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
· Neatness and ability to share workspace respectfully with other staff.
· Strong organizational skills.
· Job duties entail standing and/or sitting for extended periods of time with occasional climbing, bending and kneeling.
· Capability to lift and/or move up to 50lbs.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate Assistant Conservator in the subject line. Application deadline is January 1st, 2015.
The Margaret Herrick Library has extensive and comprehensive research collections on the subject of motion pictures including posters, production and costume drawings, books, periodicals, screenplays, photographs, manuscripts and ephemera as well as other special collections relating to prominent industry individuals, studios and organizations.