The New York State Historical Association/Fenimore Art Museum and The Farmers’ Museum seek an innovative, creative, energetic and outgoing Special Collections Librarian to make its unique holdings accessible to a wide variety of users. In partnership since the early 1940s, these institutions collect art and artifacts related to American fine and folk art, agriculture, technology and rural communities in New York State. The organizations’ Special Collections consist of material related to New York State history with a particular focus on Central New York rural community life and consist of, journals, business records, correspondence, photographs, newspapers, maps, broadsides and trade catalogs among other formats.
Current strategic initiatives require the incumbent to locate connections between museum artifacts and Special Collections, make holdings searchable and accessible both digitally and physically. Duties include: cataloging collections for inclusion in OCLC and the organizations’ catalog Pathfinder, creation and publication of finding aids, creation and management of digital assets, identifying and assisting collection users, and maintenance of corporate archives
The special collections librarian reports to the Director for Museum and Library Collections and occasionally supervises interns, grant-funded staff and volunteers.
· MLS/MLIS degree from an ALA accredited program.
· Knowledge of MARC format, Innovative Interfaces Millenium and Connexion Client and Archivists’ Toolkit.
· Knowledge of Library of Congress Subject Headings, Dewey Decimal Classification System, Anglo-American Cataloging Rules, and Society of American Archivist Standards
· Experience cataloging manuscripts and special collections, books and other library materials, familiarity with current technical processes
· Experience providing public access to library resources.
· Undergraduate degree or coursework in American History, American Studies, Material Culture, Humanities or related field
· Strong analytical, problem-solving
· Demonstrated experience in cataloging special collections
· Ability think strategically and organize work accordinglyApplicants may send a resume and cover letter to:
Barbara Fischer, Human Resources
New York State Historical Association/Fenimore Art Museum and Farmers’ Museum
PO Box 800
Cooperstown, NY 13326
Electronic applications are encouraged.